Basic Research and Applied Research
Empirical research can be categorized as either basic
research or applied research. However, in some cases,
research may be labeled as both basic research and applied
research. What is basic research, and what is applied
Basic Research Definition:
Basic research is empirical research in which the goal is
to contribute to our theoretical knowledge in a field.
Applied Research Definition:
Applied research is empirical research in which the goal
is to apply the research findings to solve a problem.
Basic Research Examples:
Below are some examples of possible basic research
questions in psychology:
1. Research that addresses the underlying processes in
2. Research that addresses a theory of memory.
3. Research that addresses a theory of how people make
Applied Research Examples:
Below are some possible applied research questions in
1. Research that addresses the effectiveness of a
2. Research that addresses the effectiveness of a strategy to
help people make better decisions.
3. Research that addreses the effectiveness of a technique
to improve memory.