| Basic Research and Applied Research
Empirical research can be categorized as either basic research or applied research. However, in some cases, research may be labeled as both basic research and applied research. What is basic research, and what is applied research?
Basic Research Definition:
Basic research is empirical research in which the goal is to contribute to our theoretical knowledge in a field.
Applied Research Definition:
Applied research is empirical research in which the goal is to apply the research findings to solve a problem.
Basic Research Examples:
Below are some examples of possible basic research questions in psychology:
1. Research that addresses the underlying processes in persuasion.
2. Research that addresses a theory of memory.
3. Research that addresses a theory of how people make important decisions.
Applied Research Examples:
Below are some possible applied research questions in psychology:
1. Research that addresses the effectiveness of a fundraising technique.
2. Research that addresses the effectiveness of a strategy to help people make better decisions.
3. Research that addreses the effectiveness of a technique to improve memory.